Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The "good old days?"

When I hear Christians bemoan the fact that the world is getting worse all the time, that the world has never been more evil, etc...I'm just really skeptical. Are these really the worst times ever...really?

Perhaps, but when I consider what Deitrich Bonhoeffer had to face and compare it to my life and times, there's no doubt in my mind that I haven't faced anything close to the evil and adversity he faced. In 1939, some friends got him out of Germany and brought him to America. He couldn't stay. He knew both Christians and non-Christians needed him too much in Germany so he went back.

Later, when he was in prison, and the world was literally falling apart around him, he was so calm and commanded so much respect, that even the German guards were willing to smuggle his letters and poems out of the prison. The strength he exuded through and because of the Holy Spirit is the reason people still talk about and draw strength from his example today.

Is the world worse today than it was in 1933 or 1943? Is it worse than when all of the disciples but one were martyred for their faith? I'm not so sure, but I hope if I ever have to face the adversity those believers had to confront that I can respond with half of the calmness and peace in Christ that they displayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment